Thursday 9 May 2013

Projects & Process


An exhibition for Mental Health Awareness Week 17th & 18th May 2013.
A journey into the inner workings of the mind: A collection of illustration, performance and video centered around the mind and mental health issues. To bring dialogue on the topic and de-stigmatize mental suffering. A private view on the 17th May with talks, Live-Art and discussion that brings together people with an interest in art and/or mental health.
In association with Ferodo Bridges and 3space Hub at the old law courts of Blackfriars (58 Victoria Embankment Road, EC4Y 0DS)
Exhibiting Artists: Howard Sivills, Ulysses Black, Annie Brooks, Anna Vauhkonen, Tasos Stamou, Sarah Delmonte, Sol Bailey-Barker, Kitty Dalton, Michel Good and Balint Revesz.
Curated by: Howard Sivils, Anna Vauhkonen and Alexander Raptotasios
‘I don’t mind’ is an official part of Mental Health Awareness Week 2013.

The event was a success and the audience feedback was overwhelming, here are some images from the night:

It started in December. I remember I wanted to volunteer for the Samaritans because it was around Christmas and I know people struggle a lot then. I felt that mental health issues affected many people around me. I started doing some fictional case study illustrations with a plan to make a sort of Samaritans ad in the form of my drawings possibly with mind to animate them. Then I went in another direction with the idea. I heard about Mental Health Awareness Week through Facebook. I thought it was a good idea to make an exhibition that did this gesture that I wanted to make towards the subject. I know all these great artists ‘Why don’t we all make something’ and I was so lucky that the more people I spoke to about the idea, everyone had their own gesture to make, there own story – How the issues had effected them or how it inspires them.’We are dealing with the consciousness. Just existing is difficult and amazing and we should explore this in some way. Invite discussion on the subject. Just give the subject a place in our minds like the rest of Mental Health Awareness Week. It’s about there being a way of communication about a subject through the means we have to offer in society as artists and thinking minds. 




  



THIS NEVER HAPPENED (a funny story)

Mental Health Awareness Week - ‘I don’t mind rowing 200 miles for you’

In mid-late April Howard Sivills and Robert Bond will row from Exeter to Brighton, almost 200 miles, to raise money for and promote ‘I don’t mind’ - an art exhibition for Mental Health Awareness Week 13th-19th May. This aims to bring into dialogue issues centered around the mind, helping to de-stigmatize mental health issues and raise awareness on the subject. The journey will be filmed and shown at the exhibition.

What do we need to borrow.

2 kayaks with any safety instruction required by the lender.
Stop off accommodation and dinner.
Waterproof cameras to make a film.

Any business’ that help to achieve this will be advertised by us and credited at the event where there will be a Private View opening with press invited, talks and performances. All contributors are warmly invited to the event and can be a part of it.

This is a worthwhile cause it affects many people.

  (This never happened for health and safety reasons but we thought it's funny enough to mention)